Monday, May 17, 2004

The crack of the bat....

...over Jerry's head.


I know I already said good night, but after I signed off I was telling Raquel what happened to Jerry last week.



Jerry loves baseball and he coaches a boys baseball team. He was coaching first base and his player got walked. Jerry started to annotate something on the lineup and was engrossed in the sheet. The boy who was walked started to head towards first. He wanted to throw the bat towards his dugout. It hit Jerry in the head. I wasn't there but I can just imagine the sound of an aluminum bat resonating after thwacking a skull.



Jerry's got a tough nugget. He's hit it several times. He cut his forehead on a ladder at work and got stitches (about a year and half ago). Last summer, on at least two occasions, while mowing his yard with a riding mower, he hit his head on a low branch of a huckleberry tree. Not sure if he tried ducking too late or didn't see it all. Either way, both times (or possibly more) resulted in a good scrape on his noggin.



Poor Jerry wasn't thinking straight and told his dad to take him to the wrong hospital. Fortunately, he had to wait a while before being seen by the doctor. I say fortunately because he came to his senses before seeing a doctor and incurring an emergency room charge that might not be covered by his insurance. He went to an emergency room in his HMO and got 5 staples in his head.



Good night again.

1 comment:

Greg said...

I had planned to post a comment as Jerry, only slightly brain damaged.

You know, "What do 'annotate' mean?"

But, as you can see, you know it's just me.

"Jerry like this hospital. Why Jerry leave? Who let all these sheep in here?"