Saturday, August 16, 2003

I read Greg's blog all the time, just as I've always read his web page. Occasionally I read some of the blogs that he has links to from his blog. Today I read Donna's blog about her piñata experiences. I gave a chuckle about how the first one was really hard, literally hard and was almost impossible to break.

My beautiful wife Raquel asked what I chuckled about. Before I could explain, I had to ask her if she knew about piñatas. She said she did and I told her about the difficulties of breaking open Donna's first piñata. Raquel thought it was strange that kids here in the U.S. hit their piñatas with a stick, why don't they use a knife to pop it open? Just to make sure we were on the same page, I had her tell me about the piñatas in Paraguay.
Keep in mind that I'm not the best Spanish speaker nor do I understand everything spoken to me in Spanish.
Apparently piñatas in Paraguay are somewhat pressurized so that when the birthday boy/girl uses a knife to "pop" the piñata, it "explodes" or perhaps "bursts" the goodies among the partygoers. Not a large blast but enough to spread the goodies out a little. Sometimes for fun, they put flour in the piñata along with the goodies so that the revelers get covered in white powder.
I think that would be hilarious to see. Maybe more fun than a blindfolded kid whacking someone in the groin or about the head and face with a stick. Someday I will experience a Paraguayan birthday celebration.

In other news, we went to the doctor on Wednesday to confirm that we are going to have a baby. Now we need to get an OB so when our baby decides it's time to leave the cozy confines of Raquel there will be someone to catch it.
Everyone has been happy for us. Many ask if I want a boy or a girl. Well of course the first priority is to have a healthy baby. I think I want a little girl until about age 9 or 10 and then I hope she suddenly becomes a boy. And I don't mean becomes a boy like she goes Melissa Etheridge on us. I just think a teenage boy is easier to deal with than a teenage girl. No matter what, we just have to do our best and hope the kid becomes a good person.


The boys just came in and are excited to be back indoors.

Of course this photo is a couple months old, they are much bigger now.

No comments: