Saturday, February 27, 2010

Bunk Beds

Raquel has been telling me for a while that Lourdes has outgrown her bed. I was reluctant to believe it because I really didn't want to spend the money on a new one. I finally broke down and bought her bunk beds. We spent the evening getting them assembled. The instructions were reasonably straightforward, yet I still had to take a couple things apart a couple different times to get holes lined up in the right spots.

In addition to my mistakes, other things compounded to draw out the process. The space we had to assemble the beds was hardly adequate for one bed let alone two. But somehow we managed.

The kids were attempting to be helpful. Teddy would grab any tool, screw, or dowel that he could get his hands on and refuse to give them up. Lourdes insisted on turning a few bolts or moving pieces of wood around or simply tearing up the protecting wrapping. Both incessantly climbed over and under the works.

We finally got it all together and it seems quite sturdy. It's sturdy, yet it's made of pine which is a very soft wood. I think it will last a long time, but will get lots of nicks and scratches along the way.

Despite it being twin size, this is huge for Lourdes. I really, really didn't realize how small her old bed was.

No comments: