Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Two posts in one day, is the world ending?

Well, close. We just experienced a small fire in the kitchen. Everyone is fine, thanks for the concern. It seems that our little Teddy is so eager to be a big boy and do anything he sees the big people doing. So he has learned to climb up to the microwave and turn it on. And he's quick at it too! Turn your head for just a moment and in a flash he's up there turning it on. So tonight, he was playing with the cordless phone. Next thing you know, it's on fire in the microwave!!

Luckily it was caught in time and the fire was contained to pretty much the phone inside the microwave. I was able to grab the phone and throw it into the sink. Obviously it was a total loss and the microwave is no good either.

I'm not too upset about the phone, it's been doomed for a while. The phone was originally a base station, a satellite station and two cordless handsets. Shortly after getting the phone, I had one of the handsets with me outside in the garage. I put the handset on the hood of the truck towards the base of the windshield (frontal glass to you Englatarians) and worked on whatever I was working on. After a while, I needed to go to the store for something and took off. On the way back home, I saw a phone laying in the street at the turn in to my alley. I laughed at the poor sucker who lost a phone as I ran over it pulling into my alley. Then about the time I heard the crunch I realized that it was my phone!!

The microwave has been on its last leg as well. The carousel made an awful noise, like the sound an accordion makes when it's thrown into a dumpster full of banjos (or ukuleles). I'm surprised it's lasted this long. Years ago, a pop tart on a plastic plate was meant to be heated for a few seconds, but some carelessness resulted in a completely melted plastic plate and a pop tart reduced to a charcoal briquette.

We already have a spare cordless phone to take over phone duties, but now I'm in the market for a microwave.

1 comment:

Greg said...

This is a good strategy for upgrading my laptop, watch and maybe even the motorcycle if I get creative with the insurance company. I'll get the girls to work.